Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imitative Augustus(?) As No Legends Laureate Head Right / Large S C  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS

10.390 grams, 25.7 mm, 225 deg die axis.

I think the portrait is Augustus, but it could be Tiberius.  If anyone feels they really know who this is, please let me know too.

It is frustrating to receive a coin like this without any indication of its origin.  It came to me from Germany, which means it could have been found anywhere.  Does anyone know where these types are found? 

Are there any references for these imitatives? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Imitative Augustus(?) As No Legends Laureate Head Right / Large S C
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:48:08 pm »
As far as I know, there are not really much in the way of references.  These are sort of like the common Claudius imitatives--everyone know of them, sometimes people make refrence to them in written works, but there is nothing much resembling a real reference to them.

Mac

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:26:11 pm »
That is what I thought. 

Any metal detectorists find one? 

It is apparently not from Bulgaria.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:21:49 pm »
Claudian imitatives tend to be from Spain, Britain and northern France.  Not sure if earlier (Augustan - Tiberian) follow that same pattern or not.

Stylistically the obverse, especially the ring of fairly large dots, looks like the Augustan local coinage of Spain.  Especially that of Iulia Traducta which are often found very crude and off centre.  They are roughly contemporary with Augustus' SC types.

For Claudian imitations there are several good articles plus the Banti volume (CNR XV) is very good.  I don't have the Augustan era Banti volume(s) to know if they cover imitations well or not.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 11:37:59 pm »
Hmmm, I have all of Banti.  I haven't opened a single volume in years.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity