Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another LEG PRI fake  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Another LEG PRI fake
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:27:24 am »
See picture below, currently up for auction. Multiple reasons why it is fake, but compare the reputedly genuine BM example for a start
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/4151023730/

Notice on the BM example, the P is open and in the same style as the obverse P, the R is likewise in the same style, and the I is like that in the reverse III. In the fake, the P is a modern closed P, the R doesn’t match in style and the I is like the numeral I on obverses such as III. There is convenient accretions just around the altered letters. The photo is low quality but inside the letter R you can see a dark patch that looks like scrapes or surface damage.

It also has a completely different style reverse eagle. How many engravers do we think were needed to make the perhaps two dies for such an extremely rare issue? (I say “two dies” on the basis of presuming the BM example true, so every other example is from a second die until proved fake, which they all are)? The answer is exactly one engraver, to be completed before his first coffee break on Monday morning.

And finally, I’ve seen so many fakes of this, all from different ‘dies’, many with wrong style reverses, that I’ll only accept as unquestionably genuine one from the BM die pair, or at the very least with the exact same style engraving and much more plausible surfaces and wear.

Isn't it also odd that none of these fakes ever appear worn - given that 80% of legionary denarii circulated til the Severan era, or looked as if they did. Well, it's not odd, because it's easier to tool/alter a good condition coin than a worn one. Though we should expect a forger to read this and next time produce a worn example as they do with the fake EID MARs.

Offline traveler

• Consul
Re: Another LEG PRI fake
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:15:55 am »
I also noticed this coin up for auction. I found the (convenient) accretions around the important parts of the legends to be very suspicious too, given that LEG PRI is so rare.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:05:34 pm »
Let me say first off, I think this coin is suspect if not an outright fake as well.

With that said, isn't there an argument to be made that the legionary denarii of Antony were made in bulk with the legion sometimes filled in after the fact, perhaps by different engravers?  RBW had a coin that was missing the legion completely and argued that his coin supported that theory.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the PRI coin in question but I'm wondering if lettering style is a reliable gauge of authenticity on this issue. Normally, I'd say yes but the legionaries may be different. 

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:14:40 pm »

Isn't it also odd that none of these fakes ever appear worn - given that 80% of legionary denarii circulated til the Severan era, or looked as if they did. Well, it's not odd, because it's easier to tool/alter a good condition coin than a worn one. Though we should expect a forger to read this and next time produce a worn example as they do with the fake EID MARs.

Couldn't agree more.

This should be added to the Antony legion are thread.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity