Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification Help  (Read 552 times)

Jeremy P

Identification Help
« on: September 01, 2015, 04:19:07 pm »
Hello,

My friend found few coins in northern part of Serbia, in area surrounding S. Mitrovica (Sirmium) so can someone please tell me from which period are coins, what is value of them, and such?

I have attached couple pictures.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
Re: Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:58:27 pm »
Good Evening,

Top Right" Roman Republic, C. Clodius Vestalis - The Vestal Virgins
This coin was struck by Caius Clodius, who fought under Brutus, monetary quatuovir in 43 BC. The head of Flora recalls the fetes instituted by Clodius Certho in 240 BC, which were probably made annual in 173 BC by C. Servilius, whose son struck coins in 74-50 BC with the legend C SERVEIL C F FLORAL PRIMVS (see lot 484). The type of the Vestal recalls either Quinta Claudia (c. 212 BC), who, when a ship laden with things sacred to Cybele struck in the shallows of the Tiber, called upon the goddess to vindicate her innocence, and drew the vessel safe to shore; or the Vestal Virgin Claudia (143 BC) who, when her father Appius Claudius Pulcher resolved to have a triumph contrary to the will of the people, walked by his chariot to the Capitol, so that it might not be lawful for any of the tribunes to interfere and forbid it.

C. Clodius Vestalis AR Denarius. Rome, 41 BC. Laureate, draped bust of Flora right; lily at shoulder; C•CLODIVS C•F• around / Veiled Vestal Virgin seated left, holding a two-handled bowl; VESTALIS to left. Crawford 512/2; Sydenham 1135. 3.88g, 19mm, 7h.

The coin lower left, appears to be a denarius of Octavian.  Similar to this one:  http://www.dartmouth.edu/~yaleart/objects/coins/capta/
In the example above, though Octavian is facing right not left like yours

Hope this helps

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Identification Help
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:12:00 pm »
Please look at the rules.  One coin per thread--it gets too confusing to try to discuss a number of different coins at once.  And we do not do value.  Weight if possible and size helps.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity