Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian of the day  (Read 884 times)

Offline traveler

• Consul
Domitian of the day
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:10:29 am »
Hi all,

This is the second denarius I've managed to obtain from the short coinage reform of Domitian which lasted from 83-85, when the silver fineness was raised back to 100%. More importantly, this coin is part of the series which introduced Domitian's four main Minerva reverse types. This one shows Minerva advancing right, with spear and shield (M1). RIC II 162, and apparently unlisted in the 1962 version of RIC II. Weight is 3.35 g and die axis is 6h.

The fields show some corrosion but the details of the coin are still sharp and crisp. I especially like the attention given to Minerva's legs: the design of one leg was cut a bit deeper in the die so that both legs have different amounts of relief on the coin. This gives a nice 3D impression.

With the addition of this reverse I'm now missing M2 and M4 to complete the initial run of Minerva types. Hopefully they will turn up someday.

Online David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Domitian of the day
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:33:19 am »
An extremely rare issue of which I only have the M2 reverse.

Nicely done!

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:46:20 am »
Good catch, congrats.

It's a pretty scarce issue, indeed.

I have M2 (2 specs plus engraver's error Note 18A) and M3 (2 specs).

Kind regards

Alberto

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:56:26 pm »
Thanks David and Alberto. It looks like M4 is the scarcest. I will have to keep my eyes open!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:38:16 am »
Nice coin I agree ..
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity