Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My collection commodus FID EXERCIT  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Ronald

• Consul
My collection commodus FID EXERCIT
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:58:26 am »
hey all, my collection:

Commodus AE sestertius. Rome mint
186 AD. M COMMODVS ANT P FELIX AVG BRIT, laureate head right.

Reverse - PM TR P IMP XI VII COS VPP SC in fields FID EXERCIT in exergue. Commodus standing on platform, which the group of three soldiers, three military standards behind them.
RIC 468, rated R. 29mm, 22.6g

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-122958

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: My collection commodus FID EXERCIT
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:00:57 am »

Very nice addition!

c.rhodes

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 12:17:51 pm »
Nice coin and this I found
Upon his accession Commodus devalued the Roman currency. He reduced the weight of the denarius from 96 per Roman pound to 105 (3.85 grams to 3.35 grams). He also reduced the silver purity from 79 percent to 76 percent – the silver weight dropping from 2.57 grams to 2.34 grams. In 186 he further reduced the purity and silver weight to 74 percent and 2.22 grams respectively, being 108 to the Roman pound.[9] His reduction of the denarius during his rule was the largest since the empire's first devaluation during Nero's reign.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodus

A military revolt in Britain is put down by future emperor P. Helvius Pertinax in 186 AD
This type would be a response to that event

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodus

Vincent, I noticed an interesting Commodus denarius on the wiki's page you posted. It is said Commodus is featured there. However, I did not find this denarius by Commodus in RIC, though the dates are ok for Commodus. Does not it lool like plated denarius?  Also, SC in exe is very unusual for denarius, is not it?

Imperator, sorry to interfere in your topic, but I have an urge to check this  picture:)...your sestertius is cool, indeed!!!...I have a denarius with this exact FID EXERCIT theme by Commodus, I may post it then...

Thanks,

Z.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:22:50 pm »
That coin looks suspicious to me. Maybe a cast fake Timka, Wilkipedia looks as if they need help in their post.
Maybe someone else can confirm

Offline Ronald

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:04 am »
Thanks,  +++ Commodus is welcome no problem

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:51:45 am »
Quote from: imperator on August 26, 2015, 07:58:26 am
hey all, my collection:

Commodus AE sestertius. Rome mint
186 AD. M COMMODVS ANT P FELIX AVG BRIT, laureate head right.

Reverse - PM TR P IMP XI VII COS VPP SC in fields FID EXERCIT in exergue. Commodus standing on platform, which the group of three soldiers, three military standards behind them.
RIC 468, rated R. 29mm, 22.6g

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-122958

Very nice addition..
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity