Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Some LRB Oddities  (Read 1161 times)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
Some LRB Oddities
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »
I have a few oddities to share.

The first is this hybrid, obverse of Constantine II, reverse of Constantine I. During the run of this series, the princes Constantine II and Crispus received reverse legends CAESARVM NOSTRORVM, or abbreviations thereof, with VOT X. Constantine I got DN CONSTANTINI MAX AVG with VOT XX.

So this is a mule of RIC VII Trier 459 and RIC VII Trier 324. Since both types were minted in AD 324, it's easy to see how the dies could have gotten mixed up.

To compound matters, the engraver (or engravers) of the dies ran out of room and shortened both inscriptions to make them irregular. The B is missing on the obverse: CONSTANTINVS IVN NO(B) C, and AVG on the reverse is abbreviated simply as A. This sort of thing isn't particularly uncommon, but it adds a layer of fluff to an already erroneous cake.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Some LRB Oddities
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »
The omitted letters would seem to me to indicate unofficial manufacture (ancient counterfeit), despite the good style.
Curtis Clay

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 02:30:07 pm »
Yes, definitely unofficial. I made a post on this one and several others when they were first listed two years ago.

http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum.com/index.php/topic,300.msg681.html#msg681
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 02:41:26 pm »
Thank you gentlemen. Well, I suppose it's redundant to continue since the coins are known, but perhaps some members of FORVM haven't had a chance to see them, so I'll post anyway. I acquired three of them from the seller in question.

This one has obverse of Constantine I, AVG abbreviated AV, reverse of Constantine II/Crispus with the completely botched inscription CAEMSARVM NOSTRVM. But Ticinium mint only used DOMINORVM NOSTRORVM CAESS on this series, so this coin is a real hodge-podge of mistakes.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 03:17:07 pm »
The third doesn't need any analysis beyond its crude style to deem it unofficial, not to mention that it's significantly underweight at 2.1g.

What I do find interesting about this coin is that no such bust is recorded in RIC VII. It's obvious that the engraver used as a model, a coin with bust G2 (right, laureate, cuirassed, with spear over right shoulder), but engraved the die in the same orientation as the coin, giving us a horizontally-flipped version of G2.

I also find it comical that he ran out of room in exergue for the mint mark and stuck the L of TARL to the right, next to the inscription. You wouldn't want to leave out a letter - that would make the coin just plain wrong!

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:37:11 pm »
These look like from the fine collection of Rick Morton. He has (had) a wonderful website of his collection named Capitoline Coins.
Seems I am no longer able to pull it up.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 05:11:27 am »
These look like from the fine collection of Rick Morton. He has (had) a wonderful website of his collection named Capitoline Coins.
Seems I am no longer able to pull it up.

Yes, they are ex-Rick Morton. It would seem his website is down all of a sudden. It was working fine just a few days ago.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:18:51 am »
He's been 'disposing' his collection for some time now. I obtained three coins, one of which is an irregular Trier issue of Constantine II from Trier. Will post a picture when I able. Too bad the site is no longer on the web, because it was one of the better productions.
BTW, He is a real nice fellow and had a grand time building his collection in an email he sent me.
As we say, we are only caretakers of these gems for  a short time and they eventually (hopefully) find other homes.

Here is the one in my collection that is posted in "Not In RIC"
http://www.notinric.lechstepniewski.info/7tri434-x.html

All coins are guaranteed for eternity