Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina Junior left bust probably not listed  (Read 1129 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Faustina Junior left bust probably not listed
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:15:35 am »
Hi!

Please have a look at this denarius of Faustina Junior - probably it is not listed with the left bust. I did not see it in RIC and RSC.

Ob FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust left, with strings of pearls in hair
Rev VENVS, Venus standing head left, holding apple and rudder

18mm - 2,75g  - 180'

RIC (-), RSC (-)

I did not check Cohen, as RIC and RSC seemed to rely on Cohen anyway.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Z.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Faustina Junior left bust probably not listed
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:32:35 am »
RSC 267a, Strack 495 (only two in Berlin and Vienna)

Frans

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:58:56 am »
Hi Frans,

Thank you for giving a hand in attrubution! I am still not good with RSC, there were so many variants of VENUS type in RSC, so I might have missed it..now I see can see it - RSC 267a with obverse type Flp, which implies left bust with pearls.

RSC also provides the variants like st - stephane, dp - double circlet of perls, st. p - stephane and pearls around head. Do you know what is exact type of bust on my denarius, is it just pearls, or stephane with pearls, or ...? - I am further confused with hairstyle types provide by RSC.

Thank you very much,

Z

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 02:19:17 pm »
Here you will find many questions answered...http://www.beastcoins.com/Topical/RomanWomen/RomanWomen.htm

Regards,

Frans

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 03:51:03 pm »
Frans, thank you for the link! I did not know about this resource - the hairstyles are conveyed over there very well ;). However they use a bit different terminolodgy compared to RSC.  I guess that my variant can be described in the following way according to this resource: ''hair waved and coiled at middle back of head in large bun, string of pearls underlying the bottom coil up to forehead wave'' - of course, judging based upon much better looking 'bust right' specimen which looked similar to mine worn left one.

Could someone let me know how Strack 495 defined this hairstyle? Is it close enough to the above quote?

Thank you for your time!

Z. 

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 04:10:07 pm »
It's Strack's bust type 1/b, the fraction meaning 'facing left'.

Strack defined four main coiffures of Faustina under Pius, plus a couple of variants of those four main types. The defining factor in his typology is how the hair itself is arranged, not the presence or absence of a string of pearls or a stephane. I would just describe your coin as having Strack's bust 1/b, without attempting to explain the features that define that type!
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 05:37:56 pm »
Curtis, thank you for explaining this matter!

It would be great if the Forum's numiswiki would share with all Forum a link to the Strack's pdf? In the same way as Reka Devnia and other reference sources are available here on the Forum, even Dorchrester hoard report can be found here through the link .... is Strack still copyright-protected,or what is the problem? ... We would save so much time to Curtis, if stop asking the same recurring questions about Strack:)

Curtis, once again, thank you for your time!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:43:40 am »
The problem is not only copyright but also, someone must scan a copy and put it online. Without that, no link.
Andreas Reich

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 04:55:08 am »
The problem is not only copyright but also, someone must scan a copy and put it online. Without that, no link.

And add to this that Strack's works seem to be about as scarce as chicken teeth nowadays, the few times I have seen them up for sale, there has always been something that I've deemed I need more, because of the pricetag involved .....

All coins are guaranteed for eternity