Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Perhaps Alexander the Great coin  (Read 493 times)

cambooo

Perhaps Alexander the Great coin
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:06:33 pm »
Dear gentlemen,

More than 10 years ago I've purchased in Rome in a Bolaffi shop this coin.

Could you please help me with the identification. It is rather unclear and today I would think twice before paying 50 Euro for a coin in a such condition.

Anyway would be great to find out how this coin might look in a proper grade.

Thanks a in advance! Here is the image of the certificate as well.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Perhaps Alexander the Great coin
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:17:16 pm »
The attribution on the ticket is correct; it is a bronze coin of Alexander III.

cambooo

cambooo

Re: Perhaps Alexander the Great coin
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:40:26 am »
I think that correct way for photo of this coin should be a bit different.

Weight is 5,75 g
Diameter is about 17 mm

Macedonian Kingdom, lifetime coin of Alexander III The Great, 336-323 BC. Bronze drachm (four chalkoi - hemiobol). Obverse - Alexander as Herakles clad in lion skin head-dress right. Reverse - a soldier's weapons: a club right above, bow in a quiver (arrow case) below. Between them probably the Greek inscription ALEXANDROU that translates into "Of Alexander". There is ">E" written on the top of the bow and club.

It is unclear for me what ">E" on the reverse means. Would be great to find a catalog number and a proper mint (perhaps Macedonian?) and year (if possible).

My coin looks a bit like this one: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/macedonia/kings/alexander_III/Price_0316.jpg

All coins are guaranteed for eternity