Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this A. Pius Aureus considered Fleur De Coin?  (Read 2359 times)

Russell W

Is this A. Pius Aureus considered Fleur De Coin?
« on: August 21, 2015, 03:17:50 pm »
http://coins.ha.com/itm/ancients/roman-imperial/ancients-antoninus-pius-ad-138-161-av-aureus-21mm-720-gm-6h-/a/3037-30969.s

Is this coin an example of a Fleur De Coin?  It is cheating because NGC assigned a grade of MS* 5/5, but I am not sure if that qualifies s FDC.

Thanks

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Re: Is this A. Pius Aureus considered Fleur De Coin?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:53:08 pm »
To me my wife is a stunning beauty to others perhaps not.....So it is with ancient coins
They are all one of a kind and the beauty (grade) is in the eye of the beholder

On the less romantic side modern coins are mechanically produced allowing a very clear and well define criteria to judge the extent of change that has occurred to a coin.

Ancients are all hand struck. What can you measure against. What do you consider since the starting point is different for each coin(flan size, flan flaws, flat strike etc) personally I don't often agree with the grading companies but we are both only expressing an opinion based on where we think the coin started

Russell W

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 05:36:10 pm »
Thanks, but that doesn't quite answer my question.

Russell W

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 05:39:26 pm »
What is your opinion?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:58:12 pm »
It's a beautiful coin, but I would hesitate to call it FDC because of the numerous flow lines and other die flaws in the obv. field, and the irregular flan edge which also affects mainly the obverse.

But, as 77HK77 said, where you draw the lines between the different grades is largely a matter of personal opinion.
Curtis Clay

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 06:22:23 pm »
My opinion is ...my opinion doesn't matter

The grading companies opinion doesn't matter either.

The criteria to grade ancients is ephemeral. Five experts could potentially give five different grades. Grading must have a rock solid starting point to be universal

The only opinion that counts is the person who shells out the dollars to add the coin to their collection.

They decided

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:04:40 pm »
My opinion is ...my opinion doesn't matter

The grading companies opinion doesn't matter either.

The criteria to grade ancients is ephemeral. Five experts could potentially give five different grades. Grading must have a rock solid starting point to be universal

The only opinion that counts is the person who shells out the dollars to add the coin to their collection.

They decided

This is one of the things that I really enjoy about this hobby. It is a deeply personal drive that we all share, which is not so concerned with established standards or conventional wisdom. I only really grade my coins in the vaguest of terms. What really matters is how a coin makes me feel, the thrill of a beautiful confluence within me of art & history appreciation, and the drive of a treasure seekers soul. There is no way that this can ever be quantified by something so hemogeneous as a simple grade.

Dave L.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:34:20 am »
It's a Heidi Klum....99.99...close but no cigar

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:49:07 am »
Yeah not FDC, not by 0.1%, not by 10%, not even close

An FDC coin has to be complete, unworn, in the best style for a given issue, and have no unsightly flaws. I would seriously mark down this coin on two of these criteria
- it has major problems with its surfaces. Worn die, slipped strike. Were it in silver it would be obviously far from perfect
- the reverse style and the drapery and treatment of head doesn't to me seem especially fine style. A bit crude

It is evidently Mint State. But that's a completely different thing. Mint State refers to a state of preservation and manufacture. It doesn't have anything to do with beauty. Fleur de Coin, a Flower of a Coin, has to be a perfectly beautiful example of a given issue (as well as being in perfect physical condition), and not just a well preserved example. It's a very rarely applied compliment.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 01:06:25 pm »
Exagerating  a bit  Fleur de coin  is  like the deflowering of a  virgin ,in this case a virgin die . IMO.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »
Whatever the label, it's a superb coin.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Ken Dorney

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coins & Antiquities
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 02:11:26 pm »
Not FDC in my opinion.  While it may appear to have a bit of wear that may just be die wear which takes it out of the category.  Still, a nice coin.  I rarely assign grades to coins as I feel it should be in the eye of the beholder.
Ken
"Man has not evolved an inch from the slime that spawned him".  Dr. Jeckyll
http://www.coolcoins.com

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 04:30:25 pm »
A few years ago I worked up a modest proposal for grading coins that added a two digit number after the EF that would rate the things that happened to the coin in manufacture and the things that happened after the coin was made.  I called this Conditions of Manufacture and Conditions of Preservation.  This coin strikes me as at least an EF89 but it almost seems to make a case for needing more than ten levels of each 'Condition' so you could call this an EF93-97.  I decided back then that this idea was way too complex to have any chance of being accepted by the masses and dropped the idea of numbering the conditional factors.  I was happy that NGC went in that direction even though they used a five point scale when I felt constrained by ten.  They may have been right since the last thing the hobby needs are people arguing whether their coin is a 66 or a 67.  The matter of leaving the grade to the eye of the beholder has a lot of merit leaving us with the old grading system based on 'coins I like' and coins I don't like.  This is far from the nicest aureus I've seen and better than most seen.  That should be enough.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 07:15:14 am »
"Fleur de coin" is, of course, a French term. The equivalent in English is usually "Mint State". But the two terms are incompatible in my opinion. "Mint State" just means that a coin unworn and uncorroded, virtually as it left the mint. I could be the ugliest coin ever, with worn dies and off-centred. "Fleur de coin" means "Flower of a coin". In other words, not just unworn but the most perfect best of type coin. Not the same thing. Therefore for NGC to call this coin "MS" is (probably) accurate, but to call it FDC is not.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 07:40:39 am »
I suspect in hand the coin has brilliant sparkling luster, which is not captured in the photograph (and rarely is captured in coin photos). When you are looking at a sparkling lustrous gold beautiful coin in hand, it is easier to overlook small less than perfect aspects. I think it is not FDC, but it certainly is Choice
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 09:16:37 am »
A small point: "coin" in French means "die", not "coin". So FDC = "flower of the die".
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity