Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Isaac II. Aspron - genuine ?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline somgabor

• Praetorian
Isaac II. Aspron - genuine ?
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:30:55 am »
Hi All,

I know it's hard to identify a coin as genuine or counterfeit but pls check these pictures and write me your opinion.
 when I hold it I was not sure it's genuine.

This is the description:

28mm, 2.92 grams

Isaac II 1185 - 1195 AD Constantinople. Billon Aspron Trachy

Isaac II Angelus, billon aspron trachy, Constantinople? mint, 1185-1195 AD. {MP-theta V} to left and right of Mary, nimbate, seated facing, holding before her the nimbate head of infant Christ facing left , sometimes with star above each arm of the throne / [I CA]A [KI OC] to left, [DEC PO TH C] to right, Isaac, standing facing on the left, crowned, wearing divitision, loros and sagion (sometimes ornamented with star), and holding cross-headed sceptre and akakia, crowned by hand of God in upper right field. SB 2003, BMC 19-31.

thank you fo rhelp

Offline hannibal2

• Consul
Re: Isaac II. Aspron - genuine ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »
Here is another you can compare with.

It was my first encounter with an ancient coin, one with a strange shape too. Took me years to find out what it was. But that was about 58 years ago.

It is an old photo, and only the reverse. The previous owner hung it around his neck. He handled it and caressed it often, so much that the obverse has been worn clean. Had the time to do it because its likely he spent some years as a christian slave. That was shortly after it was minted.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Isaac II. Aspron - genuine ?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:00:45 am »
somgabor

as to your original question, it is genuine as to being ancient, likely as to be a Bulgarian imitative coinage from 1195-1230+-, which is a imitative style of Isaac's coinage SB 2003

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity