Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "This is potentially the biggest archaeological discovery ever made”  (Read 2888 times)

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: "This is potentially the biggest archaeological discovery ever made”
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:18:27 am »
I can just see Zahi Hawass saying "okay" to any proposals to knock down a wall or two in Tutankhamen's tomb.  ::)  ;D

Alex

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:30 am »
I can just see Zahi Hawass saying "okay" to any proposals to knock down a wall or two in Tutankhamen's tomb.  ::)  ;D

Alex

Is he still around?  Thought he was pretty tight with the previous regime...

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:43:06 am »
He's still around - although he is no longer Minister of Antiquities. (Sacked or resigned in 2011 depending on who you believe  ;D )

If you are interested this is his blog.

http://www.drhawass.com/wp/

Alex.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 12:34:07 pm »

Sorry to sound so negative but,

We don't need Mr Hawass, the tomb will be destroyed in the up coming civil war which is low level as yet but increasing every day.

When I was last ( 3 or 4 years ago)  on the  Egyptian Red Sea, an English part owner of a diving outfit close to Israel said that militants came in one night demanding fuel and food at the point of a gun. He said that he thinks they were smuggling weapons and they were in constant fear of robbery and violence.

Remember that was a few years ago.

The Egyptian government don't own the Sinai anymore.

A Croatian national was kidnapped 22 km's outside Cairo and has ended up beheaded wearing a red-suit.

I wanted to go to Egypt again for my 60th next year, but travel agents in the UK do not advise.

Glad I've been to see most of the famous sites years ago, I truly cannot see them lasting if and when an IS type group gets into power.

Maybe the Pyramids of Mexico,Guatamala and Honduras need a visit.

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:00:10 pm »

I wanted to go to Egypt again for my 60th next year, but travel agents in the UK do not advise.

Cic

Quote from the Foreign Office website; "Over 900,000 British nationals visit Egypt every year. Most visits are trouble-free."
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 03:40:58 pm »

Quote from the Foreign Office website; "Over 900,000 British nationals visit Egypt every year. Most visits are trouble-free."

But who wants to be the one who's visit is not trouble-free?  ???  When it goes bad it goes real bad.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:15 pm »

But who wants to be the one who's visit is not trouble-free?  ???  When it goes bad it goes real bad.

This is a total misperception of risk. Really. When cars go bad, they go real bad. Who wants to be the person inside a car journey that's not trouble free and results in fatalities ???

In the USA there were 36,000 road traffic fatalities (and just 11,000 gun fatalities, which people go on about so much). Terrorism in Egypt probably amounted to a few dozen killed, one-thousandth the risk of cars in the USA. Still, people drive cars in the USA which sounds like an insanely huge risk.

The best possible time to go on holiday is after (an already insanely rare) terrorist incident, when you'll likely have as much security as attends the US president (not, incidentally, a risk-free job as 4 our of 44 have been knocked off). I've done so pretty often.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:13 pm »
Being a new (and very ignorant) collector, I can't really add anything to the boards, but since this discussion bumps up against my professional life, maybe I can provide some marginal info.  A quick and dirty recap on some of the threat issues for some areas of interest for anyone thinking of trying to hit some of the sites:
1.  Egypt:  Interior of Sinai has been bubbling by various groups and tribes since I was working there in the 1980's, but obviously has gotten significantly worse in the last year or so.  Sinai is definitely to be avoided.  Likewise, northern coastal Sinai (where there are a few sites of interest, although largely not explored) is a no-go area.  Luxor and Valley of the Kings are reasonably safe, with a major influx of tourist police, particularly after the Gama'at al Islamiya attack a number of years ago.  There was an attempt earlier this year, but was handled well.
2.  Jordan:  As safe as anywhere in the region.  They have some solid security.  All the tourist sites have been very quiet.
3.  Turkey:  Any of the coastal sites should be okay.  The Southeast area should now be avoided.
4.  Tunisia:  Was good, but now turning a bit sour.  Due caution here.
5.  Algeria:  Not a pretty picture.  Suggest avoiding.

I don't know if any of this is any use, but thought I would throw it in.

Best,
Larry

Offline fluffy82

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 10:40:57 am »

One of my colleagues was in Egypt recently, and she said it was strictly forbidden to leave the hotel, most Nile "fun cruises" were canceled for safety issues and all visits to monuments were done under obligatory military supervision.

If that's what they mean by "trouble free"...

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »
http://gu.com/p/4ej49?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Egypt 90% sure tomb contains hidden chambers!!

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 09:20:06 am »
Interesting post +++  Most people don't realize that there is more buried than uncovered in Egypt.  If I remember well Zahi Hawass claimed only about 30% - at a time approx. 10 years ago.

In light of the title of this post, there was some work done in searching for the lost labyrinth of Egypt funded by some random artist.  Herotodus claimed that the labyrinth he was shown was a greater wonder than the giza pyramids, and that it contained crocodile mummies.  The noted area is said to be flooded, but if they actually uncover the underground chambers, that might be one of the greatest discoveriers in Egypt since Tutankhamun's tomb. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity