Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Broken patina or fake coin?  (Read 3460 times)

Alessandro D3

Broken patina or fake coin?
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:44:20 pm »
Hi everyone, this is the first time I write in the forum. Hopefully I will be more present from now on.
Last year I purchased this coin, not on the internet but in a local shop in the Near East.
Honestly I always considered this coin authentic, but today, while looking at it again I asked myself: "the missing patina shows that the coin is fake or that it has been cleaned in the wrong way?"
I hope to have your opinions. Thank you.

Alessandro D3

Re: Broken patina or fake coin?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 12:47:29 pm »
This is the photo

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Broken patina or fake coin?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:51:12 pm »
The style is not usual for this type. The letters are not smooth, which is somewhat odd too. Furthermore, the splotchy fabric should raise some alarm bells.

This die matches the obverse die from this coin in the fakes gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-13923
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity