Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Limes Vespasian/Titus "Denarius" and a Question  (Read 720 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
A Limes Vespasian/Titus "Denarius" and a Question
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:51:28 pm »
I recently got this apparent limes coin based on a Divo Vespasian struck by Titus (Sear 2567).  It is 19mm and 2.73 grams; the flash makes it appear silvery, but it seems to be pure Ae.  I would have one historical question surrounding it.  My impression from discussions and reading was that the limes strikings were prevalent during a later period after the Romans were thoroughly ensconced along the borders.  Did the limes coinage start in earnest as early as Titus (with of course, the possibility that this coin is simply an old counterfeit) or would some of the coiners simply use whatever old dies were available to them?  I've followed the discussions on this board as to these coins being ancient counterfeits/semi-official/quasi-official, etc., so I know that there probably is some debate on this, but these coins in particular interest me and wondered if someone might have a view on this.  Thanks much.

Best,
Larry

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: A Limes Vespasian/Titus "Denarius" and a Question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:03 pm »
Are there any traces of silver plating? My initial thought is it may be the bronze core of a silver plated ancient forgery with the silver (mostly) worn off. Barbaric imitations are known from the time period, but the coin in question doesn't appear to be one of those.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:55:26 am »
Thanks much for the response.  Everything I see shows pure bronze, with no silver traces.  The patina looks to be original and is very uniform.
Best,
Larry

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:32:53 am »
I've attached a couple additional pix. They are not as sharp (no flash for details), but are closer to the actual color of the coin which in reality is darker than these photos.  The only semi-shiny areas I see are where there is wear to the coin, but nothing at all that looks previously silvered.
Best,
Larry

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:55:06 am »
With or without traces of silver, the coin is almost certainly a cast forgery and not official. It would be interesting to know the find spot.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:46 am »
I got it from an auctioneer here on ForumHis business address is in Germany, but I believe he gets most of his material from the Balkans.  Thanks for the help on this; somehow I tend to end up with the head scratchers.
Best,
Larry

All coins are guaranteed for eternity