Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: coin found in France  (Read 662 times)

Alex V

coin found in France
« on: July 28, 2015, 07:11:05 pm »
Hello,
here is my coin. Cross on one side, some weird monster on another. I managed to read "nohan" on it (if that is right), all other words are not that clear. Images attached.
Thanks!

Alex V

Re: coin found in France
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:34:33 pm »
P.S. when it was found, i thought it was a copper coin (all in blue rust), but vinegar helped to quickly see the silver-alike color. Couple of black spots left after initial cleaning, no idea with what to remove them. Smth like tar or black paint, attempts to wash them out by a paint brush in vinegar colored all around a bit brownish, so i stopped.   

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:09:39 am »
Well I believe thats Saint Ambrose sitting, instead of blessing he is brandishing a scourge? or crozier.

I think a coin of Milan??? 12-14 c not sure about references

here is one like it Azzo Visconti. 1329-1339

cw

Alex V

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »
Thanks, wileyc!
Seems to be a right track! However, i din't manage to find any pictures with that saint with a shield, none of these coins have same font and the cross form is not matching any others.
here are two roman coins which look quite similar, but with no cross and again another font:

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 02:10:58 am »
Hi folks,

I don't think it is Milan.

Perhaps the coat of arms (shield) between the figure's legs will provide a clue?

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity