Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Roman Emperors Horses" to be recognised as distinct breed.  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
News article Here.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline ickster

• Caesar
Re: "Roman Emperors Horses" to be recognised as distinct breed.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:50:12 am »
Thanks for the link. As both an owner of horses and a coin collector, it's great to see two interests overlap occasionally.

That's a very unique looking breed they have there. I'll have to learn a bit more about them.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:56:53 pm »
Anyone got pics of statues of emperor's steeds? It would be good to compare them to pics of the modern horses.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

mstewart6698

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:42:01 pm »

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:10:41 pm »
Not an "emperors steed" but a pair of Roman steeds:

Also a photo I took last year of a well known statue within the Great Hall of the British Museum:
Can learn more about it HERE.

In comparison to the statues we can see of Roman Horses, the Lazio breed looks to have quite long ears.

I have to wonder if the famed "Nisean Horse" or a similar Breed was not used by the Emperors.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity