Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The most bizarre Antoninus Pius hybrid  (Read 748 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
The most bizarre Antoninus Pius hybrid
« on: July 25, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »
I just bought this strange coin:

DIVVS - ANTONINVS  bare bust of Divus Antoninus Pius, drapery on far shoulder and fold of cloak in neck. Issued after Pius' death by Marcus Aurelius between 161 and somewhat later.

VENVVS CAELESTIS Venus standing left, holding apple and long staff; star in right field. Issued by Elagabalus for his mother Julia Soaemias between 218 and 221.

I have never encountered a hybrid where there is such a time gap between the date of the obverse and reverse.
Just wanted to share.

Frans

Barzus

Re: The most bizarre Antoninus Pius hybrid
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:19 am »
Hello,

I have got the same coin recently. The style and metal suggested a contemporary imitation; and as you, I considered it as very interesting/bizarre hybrid.

However, once in hands, I am afraid this coin is a modern forgery... I can't really see your coin to compare correctly the obverse/reverse, but I would not be surprised that they are very similar...

What are your thoughts?
G

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:46:00 am »
Both coins are struck from the same die pair!   Modern forgery seems unlikely, rather contemporary imitation .
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:52:06 am »
Modern Bulgarian dies, unfortunately.

The rev. die is published, joined correctly with an obv. of Soaemias, by I Prokopov, "Lipanoff" Studio, Sofia 2004, p. 60, no. 96.
Curtis Clay

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:51 pm »
I see in picture take ebay seller from brussel, he is of nfsl
Am i right?

Regards,

Eric
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:34:28 pm »
I was so surprised by finding this die pair, that the thought of presentday forgery didn'occur to me. Fortunately other potential buyers were more aware and I got it cheap :-[
Thanks for your comments,

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity