Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Alexander - need help identifying  (Read 332 times)

Jeremy B2

Greek Alexander - need help identifying
« on: July 19, 2015, 05:43:21 pm »
Attached is the photos of a Greek Alexander I have been trying to identify.  I have searched or hours and looked at hundreds of photos online and in books.  I know it is a Alexander tetradrachm but I have not seen a reverse like this.  Any advice or help identifying it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Greek Alexander - need help identifying
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:37:50 pm »
Hmmmm! ..... As the reverse legend states the reverse is from a coin of Demetrios I Soter, while the obverse is that of an Alexander tetradrachm ......  A complete mismatch of types .... So it is not a coin of Alexander, nor is it a coin of Demetrios I Soter ..... Conclusion?
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Jeremy B2

Re: Greek Alexander - need help identifying
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:28:16 pm »
Conclusion.... Ugh

All coins are guaranteed for eternity