Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pius on horseback sestertii  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Pius on horseback sestertii
« on: July 19, 2015, 06:12:54 am »
On the basis of the attached blurry pictures, I bought this sestertius: IMP CAES T AEL HADR AN ā€“ TONINVS AVG PIVS PP  , laureate head right
[tr POT XV] ā€“ COS IIII
Antoninus Pius, in military dress, on horseback pacing left, raising hand and holding ....
The coins of this type are apparently very rare and descriptions in catalogs are not clear as to what is depicted and what coins were indeed issued.

I assume my coin is a TR POT XV which is described in RIC 890a and b ā€˜holding spearā€™ resp. ā€˜holding parazoniumā€™(Cohen 965)  BMC 1890 (spear, ill. 46-8 and the reference for RIC 890) = Strack 1067/1068 (ill. XIII-1068; Berlin, London, Munich?, Rome?) Strack 1067 = holding sword(Paris, Rome, Vatican)

Possibly the series was also issued the year before as TR POT XIIII = RIC 869=Coh, 953 as sestertii and as an as =RIC 879 = BMC 1874 (ill. 46-1) = Strack 1055 (ill. XIII-1055) same BM coin.
Strack, however, does not mention any sestertii of the year XIIII.
May we assume they were never there?

Frans

PS attached second picture

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Pius on horseback sestertii
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:36:46 pm »
bump

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:01 am »
I would not exclude TR POT XIIII right away :
Banti 447 (1 spec.) with plate Collez. Gnecchi, Antoninus on horseback l., same rev. type, rev. legend TR POT XIIII COS IIII = Coh. 953=RIC 869=BMC 309/+
Banti 452 (3 spec.), 452 (1 spec.), 454 (2 spec.): all with small bust variations, same rev. type, rev. legend: TR POT XV COS IIII .

What is called a sestertius in RIC 869, 'Grand Bronze' in Coh. 953, in Strack 1055 is an As... strange.  Banti 447 is a different coin, certainly a sestertius as Banti only deals with large bronzes and medaillons.

I'll try to compare the different plates to see if there is a possible die match of the rev. type, even though the Banti plates are often low quality print.

Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:33:50 pm »
I looked closely at the available plates and photographs of the reverse type of Antoninus Pius on horseback.   The B.M. specimen with TR POT XIIII is indeed an as, definitely not a sestertius.  

I think, although it is difficult to be 100% sure, that your sestertius is from the same reverse die as the one in the British Museum (and Stracks' plate XIII-1068).  Hereunder the reverse of the BM photograph compared with the reverse of Frans' sestertius.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:50:26 pm »
They look a lot alike, indeed! Only the form of Pius' head is different, but that may be due to wear and/or corrosion.
Thanks for taking this trouble, Charles.

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:55:41 pm »
I don't doubt that it's the same rev. die.
Curtis Clay

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 04:28:28 pm »
Here my specimen of TR POT XV. Bought on Ebay for a lot of money some years ago.
Same dies as FransĀ“ second specimen I would say.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »
Same reverse die, no doubt, but different obverse. It looks as if the series was small; one die so far...

Frans

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 05:21:34 pm »
Here my specimen of TR POT XV. Bought on Ebay for a lot of money some years ago.
Same dies as FransĀ“ second specimen I would say.
That is quite a good specimen, antoninus1, really amazing to find this on eBay.   It is certainly the same rev. die as the British Museum and Frans' specimen and it looks like there is also an  obverse die match with Frans' specimen.  Th BM obv. is quite different.

Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 05:23:40 pm »
Same reverse die, no doubt, but different obverse. It looks as if the series was small; one die so far...

Frans
Our posts crossed.  I notice we disagree.  I still think there is an obverse die match.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 05:45:31 pm »
I have looked at only one striking detail:  the tip of the bust and the very near proximity of the second P of PP - they are nearly one. Antoninus' coin seemed to be different, but that's a question he can resolve now, I suppose.

Frans

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:22 am »
Easier to judge with the two obverses same size, side by side.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 02:47:06 pm »
I agree with Charles: also the same obverse die.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 05:38:10 pm »
I was careful, but now I am convinced: same obverse and reverse! Limits the size of the possible issue even more.
Thank you all for you input!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity