Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help identifying Roman Bronze Coin (Augustus?) 26mm  (Read 1133 times)

Cale M

Help identifying Roman Bronze Coin (Augustus?) 26mm
« on: July 18, 2015, 02:53:41 pm »
Hello,

I got this coin from my grandfather years ago, and have been trying for a long time to identify it. I know it's really beat-up, but I refuse to believe that it is completely unidentifiable, as the silhouette of the bust on the obverse seems relatively clear. I have also included a couple of pictures of the reverse which is in very poor condition. I had originally concluded that this was an As of Augustus, but further thought and research has caused me to doubt that attribution. I have no way of determining the weight, but it is 26mm in diameter. Any help in identifying the personality, date, and/or type would be greatly appreciated. I also apologize for the uncropped pictures, but the file type changed when I cropped them so that they wouldn't post.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Help identifying Roman Bronze Coin (Augustus?) 26mm
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:26:55 pm »
It would help if you take it out of the holder and take new pictures. I'm fairly sure that we could at least tell the emperor. From these pictures, there are several possibilities in my mind.
Andreas Reich

Cale M

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 04:51:17 pm »
Here are some pictures with it out of the holder. Sorry, I don't think the picture of the reverse is much more helpful (it was hard to get the light to show the most detail and a scan wasn't very helpful). Hope this helps!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:17:35 pm »
It's a bit too blurry. I would guess Trajan but it might as well be Gordian III. I think with the coin in hand, it would be possible to make a more educated guess.
Andreas Reich

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 11:12:28 pm »
It's a bit too blurry. I would guess Trajan but it might as well be Gordian III. I think with the coin in hand, it would be possible to make a more educated guess.

And my first thought was Hadrian or Trajan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity