Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3D Horse Fibula(?) 40mm, no pin  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
3D Horse Fibula(?) 40mm, no pin
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:10 pm »

40mm long, no pin

I think this is a fibula fragment.  Refs, dates, region?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: 3D Horse Fibula(?) 40mm, no pin
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:20:37 pm »
At first glance it looks like a fragment of the typical horse fibula, which was apparently centred in the middle Danube region and dates 2nd - 3rd c AD.  The size is right too.

However, yours looks to be in the round/3-D.  The usual horse fibula has a flat back.

There is also a 3-D horse fibula - I think there are images on the wiki - which is derived from the knee type and has a wide spring at the rear feet/tail area.  They were found in the Pannonias (similar dates).  Might be a fragment of that.  Could also be a small statue.

A front or 45 degree view might help.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 01:53:20 pm »
My opinion : Could be a small statue or fragment of statue..
 I have so many horse fibulae both of the plate and 3D form (some of them in my Gallery), but not exactly similar or same .... ::)
both of the four legs are visible and I have no idea which way the pin was aplicated ??

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 04:55:14 pm »
Ave Joe et al,

Quote from: quadrans on July 06, 2015, 01:53:20 pm
My opinion : Could be a small statue or fragment of statue..
 I have so many horse fibulae both of the plate and 3D form (some of them in my Gallery), but not exactly similar or same .... ::)
both of the four legs are visible and I have no idea which way the pin was aplicated ??

Regards
 Q.

I'm leaning towards Quads opinion here - I, too, see no areas where pins could or would have been applied. Also, all of the horses legs have been plow-broken/disintegrated and what is/was the missing part from the horse's head? That is quite unusual.

Thinking outside the box, your piece may not be a brooch, but perhaps a votive item...or perhaps even a child's toy? What do I know?  :P

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity