Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus consecration denarius  (Read 584 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Commodus consecration denarius
« on: July 02, 2015, 04:49:25 am »
Hi!

I would like to share with you a denarius of Commodus. It does not look and feel official, but still, this a consecration denarius of Commodus! It is different from the Alexandrian issue - the obverse legend is different, as well as the eagle sits on thunderbolt,not the globe, as it should be. Probably it is a fouree...

Ob. M ANTONINUS COMMODUS AVG, laur right
Rev. CONSECRATIO, Eagle left on thunderbolt

18mm - 2,25g - 11h

Z.

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Re: Commodus consecration denarius
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:48 am »
Hi!

I would like to share with you a denarius of Commodus. It does not look and feel official, but still, this a consecration denarius of Commodus! It is different from the Alexandrian issue - the obverse legend is different, as well as the eagle sits on thunderbolt,not the globe, as it should be. Probably it is a fouree...

Ob. M ANTONINUS COMMODUS AVG, laur right
Rev. CONSECRATIO, Eagle left on thunderbolt

18mm - 2,25g - 11h

Z.
Although I do not have much experience with denarii, to me it is surely looks like a fourrée.  I can see on the photograph corrosion on many spots under the outer layer of silver.  That would be impossible for official issues.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Commodus consecration denarius
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:56:02 am »
Hi Charles,

Thank you!...and yes, it seems like it has the bronze core. But Im still pretty happy with this one before I get accross the one from Alexandrian mint:).

Cheers,

Z.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity