Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Siculo-Punic Tetradrachm  (Read 955 times)

mlkrt

Siculo-Punic Tetradrachm
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:03:19 am »
This coin arrived in the mail today: 320-300 BC, a Punic mint in Sicily. Female goddess (Kore/Persephone; called Tanit by the Carthaginians) surrounded by dolphins. Horse's head, palm tree and the legend 'mmhnt (עממחנת) "People of the camp"".

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Siculo-Punic Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:16:33 am »
Truly gorgeous coin.  Congratulations!

mlkrt

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:19:31 am »
Thank you, Molinari - I've been looking for one for a while.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:07:41 am »
A truly superb coin! I love the striking contrast between the calm image of the female goddess and the emotionally charged image of the horse. Surely deliberate, to give the holder a surprise when they succumbed to the human impulse to turn a coin over to see what's on the other sideQuality Carthaginian issues are highly desirable additions to any collection. Well done mlkrt!

Best regards,
Steve

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 01:38:17 am »
I agree all of above ... +++

Beautiful coin .... :o

+++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

mlkrt

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 03:20:03 am »
Thank you gallienus1 and quadrans! I like the insightful comments, Steve - you should be a coin critic!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity