Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian with aegis question  (Read 745 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Domitian with aegis question
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:43:14 am »
Hi!

Could you please help and let me know if this variant with aegis is noted in a newer RIC? I have access only to the old one, where it is not mentioned...also, it is not in RSC. Aegis was only mentioned for Minerva on Prow in the old RIC.

This year (88 AD) also evidenced two types of the obverse - GERM and GERMAN. I guess that my coin is GERM, however AN could be also squeezed in before P. What do you think?

Btw, the coin's silver is very crystallized, and as you can see, it was further damaged during the shipment due to a poor packaging. So, I may return it...

Ob. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM (AN -?) P M TR P VII - laur.  right with aegis
Rev. IMP XIIII COS XIIII CENS PPP - Minerva 1

2,87 g - 19mm - 180'

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Z.

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: Domitian with aegis question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:57:46 am »
Hello timka,

I don't have RIC with me, but David Atherton has one example of the same issue in his gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-103678

It's RIC 574 (R2), a pretty rare coin.

Kind regards

Alberto

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:45:07 pm »
Hi Alberto!

Thank you for the link to David's coin! It is so well described over there...so, I wont return it even despite its state.

All the best,

Z.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:39:05 pm »
Hi Alberto!

Thank you for the link to David's coin! It is so well described over there...so, I wont return it even despite its state.

All the best,

Z.

Good decision! Even though the coin is damaged, it is very rare!! A keeper, IMHO.

And thanks for posting your coin here, which is now noted in my gallery description.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 03:13:26 pm »
Hi David,
Hi Alberto,

Given this opportunity, I would like to check one more denarius of Domitian with you. I cannot figure out the rarity of it with my limited sources. It is N142 (C) in the old RIC, but it was not known to Cohen as I can see from RIC, and also I did not get across this one in your collections. So, I suppose it is not so common as it seemed to be minted only within a very short period of time, am I right? 

Ob. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VIII - laur.  right
Rev. IMP XXI COS XIIII CENS PPP - Minerva 1

3,12 g - 19x17,5mm - 180'

Thank you for your time in advance.

Z.

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:57:03 pm »
Hello Timka,

as I wrote before I don't have my RIC here in Crete, but I have my files.

Even if my gallery covers only a part of my collection (say about 30%), I've just checked and I don't own the coin.

In that same issue dated 88-89 A.D., I own only RIC 677 (R) with Minerva standing.

Your coin is RIC 674, certainly a scarce one; one example here: http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=477243

Kind regards

Alberto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity