Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius II imitation ?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Claudius II imitation ?
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:11:35 am »
Hello everybody! The obverse legend on this antoninian is a bit strange  (I IIII P CLAVDIVS ). Is it a barbarous imitation ? Or the engraver was not quite literate ?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Claudius II imitation ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 10:31:03 am »
No the IIII is an M.
Another coin from Claudius II. The reverse is ANNONA AVG

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:21:47 am »
If I recall correctly the IIII for M and III for N are signs of the Rome mint at this time.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:11:03 am »
 While I do not wish to question the judgement of people with way more knowledge than I have , ( although I shall!  :tongue: ), are you entirely sure that this is official, or perhaps could be a very good imitation ?
 The style of the portrait very much reminds me of imitations I have in my own collection, the jawline and beard just do not look particularly flattering...  Certainly not a befitting of an emperor ..

Check out the first few coins in my ( admitedly small ) collection of imitations for some VERY similar obverses..

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4657

Best wishes,

Lee.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »
Very nice collection of imitations Lee.

To me it looks like an official issue with the debased quality often found 268 - 270.  But I am no expert in this era.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity