Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lucius Verus denarius with shortened obverse legend  (Read 704 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Lucius Verus denarius with shortened obverse legend
« on: June 25, 2015, 05:03:43 pm »
Hi!

Have a look at this denarius of Lucius Verus with uncommonly short obverse legend. I thought that it was some sort of imitation, but it appeared to be a regular issue - RIC 464 (Cohen 152).  This short obverse legend turned out to be very common on quinarii of Licius Verus, but it was only used once in this particular issue of denarius. Reka Devnia recorded only 3 specimens. I could not find it in BM collection, so I presume it is a scarce type, although it is rated as common by RIC
Ob. L-VERUS AVG
Rev. PROV DEOR TR P II COS II, Providentia left with the globe and cornucopiae

2,75g - 18mm - 180'

Thank you for your time,

Z.   

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: Lucius Verus denarius with shortened obverse legend
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »