Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Capsule Frames?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Suda

• Praetorian
Coin Capsule Frames?
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:19:16 pm »
Hey pals!

So recently I decided to start storing my Roman coins in airtights. I've been using airtights meant for US currency (though they work just fine for most of my coins), and I recently heard that there are frames that these airtights fit into. Where can I find one of these frames? And do you know of any that have a slot for NGC slabs? Thanks!

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Coin Capsule Frames?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:52:19 am »
Although they are your coins, and you can do what the heck you want with them, I have to ask why ?
   After C.2000 years exposed to the elements, putting them into an airtight container won't do them any favours....

Best wishes,

Lee.

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:38:56 am »
I agree 100% with Lee.   Very rarely I do purchase Roman coins which have been certified and sealed in air tight capsules.  The first thing I do is release the coin, so that I can REALLY enjoy its beauty instead of through a plastic separation.  For me, ancient coins do not go well with plastic capsules which otherwise seem to work so well for mint condition modern coins.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline Suda

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:46:32 am »
I agree 100% with Lee.   Very rarely I do purchase Roman coins which have been certified and sealed in air tight capsules.  The first thing I do is release the coin, so that I can REALLY enjoy its beauty instead of through a plastic separation.  For me, ancient coins do not go well with plastic capsules which otherwise seem to work so well for mint condition modern coins.

I began using airtights for the sole purpose of displaying my coins on a wall. It's hard to find frames that ancient coins fit in because they're so varied, so using airtights helps with that. I'm fairly new to collecting and my coin dealer is very pro-slab (he also sells modern coins) and for a while I was under the impression that slabbing is a good idea for ancients (I was wrong).

Anyways, I love holding my coins and all, but I hate to have my collection hidden away in boxes. I'd really like people to be able to see it. Any thoughts or ideas on what I should use or how I should go about doing this?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:20 am »
I use Lindner capsules (equivalent of air-tites) to hold my tiniest coins, even though I use abafil trays. So the capsules sit in the abafil tray. This is a practical measure to avoid that a gold 20 as piece, or a silver half-victoriatus, don't go awol due to an inadvertent fumble and end in the vacuum cleaner.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:47:33 am »
Get a nice and artistic cabinet that by itself is worth showing.
You have a visit....." Here is my dog or cat.....the wife and here is my coin cabinet,,want to see the coins ( while you open the doors of the cabinet)...put on this gloves ."
Gloves can be omitted.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:42:04 pm »
Mmmmm.  Good luck with that scenario.  More likely: "Here is the dog ….. the wife and here is the" "THE WIFE, THE WIFE, WHAT EXACTLY IS, I MEAN WHAT HAS GOT INTO, I MEAN OF ALL THE"

Anyway, there are some capsules that open easily so that way you can have them in capsules on display but remove them for handling or if you rotate the coins you have out.

There are few options for vertical or wall mounted display of coins but for horizontal or on a desk or shelf you can get nice wooden glass topped trays from firms like Lindner or Leuchtturm (Lighthouse in North America).

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

George S

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 10:09:00 pm »
I recently bought a Drachm which was slabbed, and I removed it from the slab because I wanted to enjoy the coin. Actually holding a 2,000 year old coin in my hand was the whole point of buying it for me :)  But I do want to keep it in a coin capsule, just to protect it from physical damage if nothing else. I tried a dime sized air tite with the ring, which fits great by diameter but the coin is way too fat. Having a hard time finding something that will fit the odd size in terms of thickness.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:27:10 am »
I have seen thicker capsules - like small cylinders - for displaying things like mineral samples or insects.  Perhaps one of those would work.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity