Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CLAUDIUS ? MINERVA ?  (Read 855 times)

Offline sinnb-sinnb

• Consul
CLAUDIUS ? MINERVA ?
« on: June 22, 2015, 04:39:33 am »
Hi. I have found this coin in a lot of uncleaned coins, and I would very much like to identify it although it is very worn, but it looks like my skills is not good enough, so please help me.

I have found coins that look a bit like this one, by looking on Claudius and other emperors, but I cannot get the text to match, I can see some letters and to me it looks like CAR AV T R.
I think that the reverse shows Minerva, but I am not sure.
I hope that someone can tell me the emperor and perhaps the text as it was on the front. 
The coin is 25,7 mm. and weigh 9,34 g.

Johnny

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: CLAUDIUS ? MINERVA ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:10:38 am »

Offline sinnb-sinnb

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 06:44:30 am »
Hi Benito.

I also have been around this coin, but I could not get the letters to fit, but perhaps you are right it is a very warn coin.

Johnny

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:58:59 am »
The letters may not always be in the same spot if they are from different dies.  Looks like a typical Claudius to me.

Offline sinnb-sinnb

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:55:48 am »
I know that the letters not always is on the same spot, I hoped that someone perhaps knew a coin with the text CAESAR AV TR instead of CAESAR AVG PM TR as it seems like the letters that can be read is CAR AV TR.I also have found Claudius coins where the letters is in the same spot as mine.
The coin is very warn so perhaps the letters has changed so much that they looks different now.

Johnny

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 03:34:07 am »

One possibility is that your coin is an imitation with
somewhat blundered legend.

Pekka K

All coins are guaranteed for eternity