Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Leo I Lion mintmark?  (Read 581 times)

Offline Odoacer

• Consul
Leo I Lion mintmark?
« on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:39 pm »
Dear list,

I can't identify the mintmark (quite legible) of this ae4 leo I, lion. Looks like it is ending with NA or delta?

Thak you
Best regards Jeroen

Pendrakon

Re: Leo I Lion mintmark?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:58:34 pm »
Hi-
VERY Nice coin for the type! I have never seen one with the mint mark actually on the flan. All AE4s from this time period are very crude. I have a Rome mint from this time period that looks more like a KMi. On page 292 of RIC 10 is a list of mints and mint marks for Leo I Lions. SMHA Heraclea, CON Constantinople, NIC Nicomedia, and ALEA Alexandria. On yours I would lean closer to SMHA. I could be wrong- just my opinion. Maybe someone else can help more-

Offline Odoacer

• Consul
Re: Leo I Lion mintmark?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:04:59 am »
Thank you for your anwer. I was thinking about Nicomedia, there is probably a NA mintmark known: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia/mints/nicomedia.htm
This mint was closed under Leo I. Has anyone seen this mintmark?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity