Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Silver Mystery  (Read 1022 times)

Pendrakon

Small Silver Mystery
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:17:01 pm »
Hi Guys. I am stumped again. From an AE lot from Spain. I thought that because of the visible cross that I had a late Roman AE4, however when I started cleaning I discovered that it is silver. 11mm and 1.6 grams. Could this be some type of cob? The scan is not real good so not much to work with. Any ideas? Thanks-

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
Re: Small Silver Mystery
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:32:28 pm »
I am not familiar with any cobs that look like this but i remember long ago seeing some coins from portugal with similar size and weight and they had that type of cross surrounded by pellets. I cant tell by the pic but is the cross surrounded by dots or pellets?

Pendrakon

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:55:01 pm »
There are some random items that could be dots but not in any kind of pattern. Looks like maybe an arch over one of the legs of the cross. I will see if I can get a better pic-

Pendrakon

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:27:42 pm »
This probably will not help but here are a couple of more pics-
Probably not enough detail to identify-

All coins are guaranteed for eternity