Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Denarius with bubbles  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Denarius with bubbles
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:55:40 pm »
Currently for sale on eBay from a seller not on the NFSL.

He states condition of the coin may be from a fire?? Look like casting bubbles to me. Does fire cause this appearance also?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Denarius with bubbles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:04:08 pm »
Yes, that looks like fire damage. In hand, the flan cracks would probably be either clearly genuine cracks from striking or cast. From the photos, I think more likely fire damaged than cast.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:44:40 am »
I think so to. If THESE were casting bubbles, this would be an extremely low-quality cast. And the reliefs are too sharp for a low-quality cast IMHO.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:47:21 am »
By the way, the bubbles result from tiny pockets of air in the flan expanding with heat. Sometimes a bubble can or will have already been pushed flat, but that does l not return it to a normal appearance and sometimes the thin shell of the top of the bubble will break leaving a pit.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:38:21 am »
I have also noticed after experimenting heating (bronze) slugs that what I presume must be lead bubbles out to the surface .... Given that much silver ore is found alongside lead ore, although I've not tried heating silver coins it's not impossible that they have a high lead content which would melt and bubble when heated...

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:51:10 am »
Studies of cross sections of early third century Roman silver denarii show isolated patches of lead not fully incorporated into the alloy--such could bubble out in a fire as you suggest.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:21:39 pm »
I have also noticed after experimenting heating (bronze) slugs that what I presume must be lead bubbles out to the surface .... Given that much silver ore is found alongside lead ore, although I've not tried heating silver coins it's not impossible that they have a high lead content which would melt and bubble when heated...

That was discussed here years ago as a way of 'restoring silvering'. I think they were Byzantine scyphates.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »
I have examined bubbles on fire damaged silver denarii, similar to the bubbles on the coin above. The bubbles were silver, not lead, and were hollow, created by expanding heated air. Certainly lead would melt and perhaps bubble out, but I didn't notice that on the fire damaged coins I examined.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:02 pm »
I wonder whether lead or even copper elements might have vaporized and left voids, which then lead to silver bubbles?  So much I do not know about how alloys behave!

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 12:46:18 pm »
Lead vaporizes at 1750 degrees C. (3182 degrees F).  I don't think a fire in a building or other structure reaches that temperature.  Copper is even higher.

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 07:13:05 am »
A coin of this type would have had much less than 80% silver bullion. This being the case, there would have been copper-rich cells as the metals do not mix properly with such oncentrations. Such copper pockets loose the metal due to corrosion quite easily. These empty pockets might be the cause of explosive pubbles in fire - sort of like hat Joe has observed.
Jyrki Muona

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 07:31:41 am »
I suspect, however, that the empty pockets were simply just very tiny little bubbles of air in the flan, as it was cast before striking. I am no expert on metal corrosion, but I think it unlikely that many copper pockets corroded away in the short period while the coin was still in circulation. If a hoard was burned long after being hidden, perhaps then corrosion is a more likely factor.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 04:19:46 pm »
Indeed, I was thinking of hoarded stuff burnt recently!
Jyrki Muona

All coins are guaranteed for eternity