Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Otho with drapery (RIC 16)  (Read 660 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Otho with drapery (RIC 16)
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:15:22 am »
Hi!

I have RIC 16 denarius of Otho with drapery. RSC does not mention this variant. RIC is very unclear, just saying there are draped variants around for all types. However I did not find draped versions of Otho in BM collection, wildwinds, cng, etc at all... But there are three other draped Otho denarii in Jyrki Muona gallery here in the Forum's gallery! - two of RIC 8/draped and one RIC 4/draped. Jyrki wrote that draped bust for Otho is known for at least RIC 3, RIC 4, RIC 7 and RIC 8. Does it mean that RIC 16 draped was not recorded before?

Also, it seems that my coin has the same ob. die with Jyrki's RIC 4/draped.

Ob: IMP M OTHO CAESAR AV(G TR P)
Rev: VICTORIA (OTHO)NIS

18mm- 2,9g - 180'

THX!

Z.

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Otho with drapery (RIC 16)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:48:48 pm »
As I write in the Otho Gallery, the draped bust dies are just dies, there is no evidence suggesting they should be treated separately. As all the coin types of the first issue (IMP M OTHO, RIC 3, 4, 7, 8, 13, 14,  15, 16, 17gold, 17) can share the same obverse die, your find is not unexpected. The Budapest museum has a RIC 16 with draped portrait, so if I can see an image of yours, I can tell if the dies are identical.
s.
Jyrki Muona

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 12:43:49 am »
Jyrki, thank you for getting back to me on this post. I prefer the draped variants versus the bare ones in general, so that I was happy to pick up  this quite uncommon draped Otho. Thank you for your reference to the Budapest museum. I will email you a picture of the coin privately, as it seems you did not see (or open) the picture that was attached to the post.    

Once again, many thanks!

Cheers,

Z.

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 05:48:12 am »
Thank you - my temporary computer problems are over.
Yes, indeed, identical die-pair with the Budapest museum coin.

s.
Jyrki Muona

All coins are guaranteed for eternity