Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximianus post-reform Radiate weight?  (Read 328 times)

Offline Odoacer

• Consul
Maximianus post-reform Radiate weight?
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:43:20 am »
Dear list,

Herewith a beautifull post-reform radiate of Maximianus, what bothers me is it's weight: 4,26 gr (size 22,5 mm). According to RIC (59b) it must be c 3 gm. Any Opinions?

Best regards Jeroen

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
Re: Maximianus post-reform Radiate weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:37:19 am »
Beautiful example.  Congrats.

The weights of the radiates and folles vary widely.  My understanding is that a given number of coins was to be produced from a given quantity of metal with less attention to individual weights.  I think you should consider the weights in RIC as a standard or average weight and not a mandatory.  

;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity