Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximian nummus Heraclea mint  (Read 371 times)

Offline hposner

• Praetorian
Maximian nummus Heraclea mint
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:33:25 am »
Hi all,
          I know this is what it is, and strictly speaking it is already identified to death.
My problem is that I bought it described as RIC VI Heraclea 19b, and  that has a different reverse legend
( IMPCMAVALMAXIMIANVSPFAVG).

I can't find IMPCMAMAXIMIANVSPFAVG anywhere in RIC VI for Heraclea.
Have i missed something obvious, or have i struck a new Obverse legend for this mint?

thanks,

Howard Posner

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Maximian nummus Heraclea mint
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 05:58:07 am »
RIC VI Heraclea 19b would appear to be correct. I believe this to be a typo in RIC. "IMP C MA VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG".
Search wildwinds, acsearch and other online references for RIC 19b all turn up coins matching yours.
Regards,
Martin

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:32:10 am »
RIC VI Heraclea 19b would appear to be correct. I believe this to be a typo in RIC. "IMP C MA VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG".
Search wildwinds, acsearch and other online references for RIC 19b all turn up coins matching yours.
Regards,
Martin

+1.  See comments for pg 530 here:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/cv6.html

FWIW I have a 19b with the same obv legend and have noted the error in my copy of RIC which I use as a "checklist" for my collection and for corrections/tidbits of info I've come across over the years.

Offline hposner

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:45:23 pm »
Thanks. I knew it was too good to be true, but it was worth checking it out.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity