Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thrace,Hemidrachme, Knidos drachm?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Daniel T-bo

• Praetorian
Thrace,Hemidrachme, Knidos drachm?
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:47:18 am »
I have not found this coin on any of the major reference pages .

Was bought as Thrace, Hemidrachme , 3,05gr , correct?

All info about the coin is gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Thrace,Hemidrachme?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 04:57:06 am »
This looks modern Bulgarian. It may not be modeled after any particular Greek coin.
Andreas Reich

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 05:23:24 am »
I agree. The style and fabric look entirely modern.

Offline Daniel T-bo

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 05:56:55 am »
Boring, but I trust you .

I do not experience the coin to be modern in my hand.

I have sent a message to the seller , bought from him previously but there has not been a problem before.

Attaching some other images, should I ad more or are you shure about the coin already?

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:30:01 am »
There is another example with the same obverse die but different reverse in an upcoming auction. That example is attributed to Knidos (search Sixbid.com for Knidos). I was suspicious when I saw the auction example and now I'm more suspicious with two nearly identical examples. Opinions?

GAT

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:40:01 am »
My opinion won't change with more pictures. Here's the picture of the other example, which is not any more convincing to me.
The description:

KNIDOS: late 4th century BC, AR drachm (2.98g), S--, bust of Aphrodite right, legend KNI around / bunch of grapes (variety undetermined), VF.

So no published example to check. I am still sure that this is modern.
Andreas Reich

Offline Daniel T-bo

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »
Thank you so much for your input, help, opinions and time.

I see way more suspicious Knidos coins when browsing sites likes acsearch, even if this is not any known variation.
I´m not convinced that it´s a modern forgery as I see nothing wrong about it,but I also rely more on your knowledge and experience then my own.

If the second coin is found to be genuine, this coin is genuine to.

I guess it will remain in the collection as status unknown, for a while.

Thanks again.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Thrace,Hemidrachme, Knidos drachm?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 05:11:40 pm »
Acsearch is an archive of coins sold in auctions, so it definitely contains fakes but the Knidos coins found there look nothing like this. This is modern Bulgarian in style, everything about it is modern, stlye fabric and surfaces. Yours is a little more worn, artificially. Some Bulgarian fakes can look more convincing with fake wear but this one is not quite there yet. It also doesn't help that it doesn't copy a known coin. The other coin may or may not sell but if it does, it won't become any more genuine.

In the last few years, thousands of new fantasy fakes have come from Bulgaria, they don't even try to make them convincing, since they can make them so cheaply, they don't need to sell for much. Some are modeled after existing coins, some are not. This may not even have been intended to be a coin of Knidos (the existing type with grape reverse isn't very common).
Andreas Reich

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:55:11 pm »
The example in the auction on May 14-15 was withdrawn (see the errata on the auctioneer's web site - not indicated yet on Sixbid).

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:44:58 pm »
I can only agree with areich--the style reveals it is modern, in all probability Bulgarian.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity