Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Andronicus II with Michael IX Constantinople Assarion DOC 711 Sear 2451?  (Read 887 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I believe that this is an Ae assarion of Andronicus II with Michael IX, Constantinople Assarion DOC 711 Sear 2451.  It measures approximately 18.66mm and weighs 1.1g.  On the obverse, there is a large patriarchal cross to the left is a B and to right is a  :reversedB:.  On the reverse, there are the emperors with a labarum between them within a beaded circle.  Is my attribution correct?  The example in the DOC is a very worn coin.  I purchased this interesting coin in a lot with other Late Byzantine and Medieval Bulgarian, and an Arabic ar.  

Pogh_poor  
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
I agree with you Pogh, I have seen one other but yours in nicer but a little lighter.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I have also seen another, but alas it is not mine.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Thank you all for the comfirmation of my identification of this interesting Late Byzantine issue.  Seems to be quite scarce - and a very nice strike.  One can truly find nice pieces in a dealer's junk box!  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity