Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crusader copper help  (Read 1033 times)

a

Crusader copper help
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:53:18 am »
Hi,

Please help me to ID this crusaders issue strucked on octagonal flan.

O: Cross with four pellets, no inscription
R: unknown impression

18mm/0.8g

Regards,
Explorer

a

Re: Crusader copper help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:34:28 am »
Any ideas? The coin was reported as found in Israel.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:12:40 pm »
Hi explorer,

The fact that it was found in Israel isn't really of much help. Crusader coins from all over the world are found in Israel. It is logical that they would be.

The main problem with trying to identify your coin is that only only element is visible - the cross and 4 pellets, which is something very generic. The legend on both sides in unreadable. Also, whatever is in the center on the other side is not clear either. All we have to work with is a cross and 4 pellets. It could be anything.

Meepzorp

a

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:29:21 am »
Hi Meepzorp,

Thank you. I'm aware about the difficulty to identify this coin. I have the "Coins of the Crusader States 1098-1291" and spent a lot in on line resources for searching. Since the coin looks as anepigraphic, and according to octagonal flan, I estimates that this is Antioch issue of the last decades of existence of Crusader Kingdom. But, I can't find similar reverse figures and can't imagine what it can be. Lion? Feur-de-lis? It also possible that this is European issue, but I can't find similar impressions on French or Italian coins of the same time.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 07:08:55 pm »
Does the coin show a star or a lion? If it's a lion, then it could probably be from the Kingdom of Cyprus.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity