Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius Ant - Mars reverse???  (Read 479 times)

Ghengis_Jon

Carausius Ant - Mars reverse???
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:36:11 pm »
Can anyone help with this one?  I'm stumped.  I can find Virtvs, but nothing with Mars, despite the legend.  Thanks!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Carausius Ant - Mars reverse???
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:48:43 pm »
Ghengis:

The reverse of your coin is off-center, and either overstruck or rotated and double-struck, making the mint mark(s), if any, off-flan or illegible.  RIC lists two Carausius' antoniniani with this basic reverse type (VIRTVS AVG, Mars walking right holding spear and shield): (1) RIC 180 (London), which should have mint marks SP//MLXXI, not visible on your coin, and (2) RIC 527 (London or "C" mint), which should have mint marks SC or SP in fields, not visible on your coin.  Unfortunately, your obverse inscription (by my reading, IMP C CARAVSIVS P AV) does not match either of the above RIC listings.  RIC attributes your obverse inscription to the "C" mint.  Keep in mind that RIC V is based on 100 year old scholarship, and is quite out of date.  I also checked a few post-RIC sources on my shelves and came-up empty.  You may want to research numismatic journal articles on new Carausius types - there have been many discovered since RIC V was published in 1933.  Good luck.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity