Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Id help Alexander  (Read 867 times)

Offline Archon

• Consul
Id help Alexander
« on: April 20, 2015, 04:54:50 pm »
[/s]Hi I don't have any metric ruler and not much info on this coin. It's an Alexander coin, MACEDON, KINGS OF. ALEXANDER III. 336-323 BC. AR DRACHM (4.30 Gm). I'm looking for a mint city and diameter. Thanks!

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Id help Alexander
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:50 pm »
Quote from: Archon on April 20, 2015, 04:54:50 pm
.....I'm looking for a mint city and diameter. Thanks!

I use a ruler to measure the diameter.... works every time  ;D ...  25.4 mm per inch if in doubt!

In your case an imperial system ruler and a calculator will suffice to make a metric diameter measurement.... or use this http://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm  That said a metric ruler can be had for under a dollar, so why not buy one?

Making a diameter measurement on an unscaled photo is far more problematic.  ???
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:41:35 am »
The mint is supposed to be Kolophon: http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=164705

Regards

Altamura

Offline Archon

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 01:24:39 pm »
I don't have it yet I'm getting interested in Alexander's though. Just trying to get some more info for the sake of it. Don't wanna buy it and realize to tiny if I do ever buy it.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:34:09 pm »
In general the diameter of the drachms of Alexander III is around 17/18 mm.
Was it that what you wanted to know?

Regards

Altamura

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 02:24:51 pm »
Is it just me who finds this coin slightly problematic?

It could be heavily corroded, and overcleaned, but I dont like the soapy look, which along with all the holes means I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole...

Joe has some nice ones for sale, search Alexander the great and macedonia in the coin store...

Lee.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »
I think it's corrosion but if I was looking for an Alexander drachm, I would wait for a nicer one.
Andreas Reich

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:05:56 pm »
Most likely corrosion with those irregular holes, but not a nice coin.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity