Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual Byzantine coin  (Read 693 times)

Russ B

Unusual Byzantine coin
« on: April 20, 2015, 04:48:09 pm »
I need help attributing this coin.   I purchased it as Arab-Byzantine but it does not match any of the transitional coin types in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection that covers coins issued from 600-700.   I reviewed other Byzantine issues and the only coins I could find with matching observe and reverse devices were some of the issues of Constantine X & Eudocia (1059-1065).   However, there is a difference in the size and weights.  My research indicated that Constantine X coins range from 26-29 mm and 8-12 gms.  My coin is 4.2 gms and 21 mm.   Also, there are devices (line drawings) on the obverse and reverse that look like monograms from late Roman coins.   Any help in identifying this coin would be appreciated.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: Unusual Byzantine coin
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:20:28 pm »
Welcome to Forum Russ B !
ZENGID OF ALEPPO, Nur al-Din Mahmud (AH 541-569/AD 1146-1174), AE fals
Regards ,
Vlad .  

Russ B

Re: Unusual Byzantine coin
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:02:07 am »
Vlad,
Thank you for solving a one year old mystery for me.  I have been collecting ancient coins for over 40 years and this was the first that I could not identify.

Russ B.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity