Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help for cleaning argenteus  (Read 1791 times)

Offline moneta_auction

• Consul
Help for cleaning argenteus
« on: April 20, 2015, 04:27:51 am »
Hello friends,

please help me with your knowledges, options to cleaned this coin.  10% ammonia solution is a good option? Thank you.

best

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Help for cleaning argenteus
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:38 pm »
I can't provide any suggestions on how to clean it, but may I ask exactly why you're looking to clean it ?

Is there dirt or some other surface buildup you're looking to remove?  If this is it, I'll let others chime in.

Or are you just looking to make it shiny?  If this is why, I would probably leave it alone.  It looks to be originally toned....albeit very dark.  Making it shiny would just make it another over-cleaned coin.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:57:39 pm »
The purplish colored deposits are a classic example of "horn silver." Removing it "could" lead to exposing very rough surfaces....or not. The rough surfaces are the result of surface silver lifted off and residing in the horn silver. Also, it "could" lead to redeposit of silver in the horn silver (or not....leaving a black substance easily brushed-off), which could be difficult to remove, unless you are an expert at it, and  I know of VERY few folks that can do it.
I am not at liberty to name names. The process of doing it is not publicized by these experts, as it is a source of income for cleaning extremely high priced coins.
PeteB

Offline moneta_auction

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:22:36 am »
The purplish colored deposits are a classic example of "horn silver." Removing it "could" lead to exposing very rough surfaces....or not. The rough surfaces are the result of surface silver lifted off and residing in the horn silver. Also, it "could" lead to redeposit of silver in the horn silver (or not....leaving a black substance easily brushed-off), which could be difficult to remove, unless you are an expert at it, and  I know of VERY few folks that can do it.
I am not at liberty to name names. The process of doing it is not publicized by these experts, as it is a source of income for cleaning extremely high priced coins.
PeteB

Hello,

"horn silver" = AgCl (Silver chloride)
I read in one practical Hand book (how to clean Ancient Coins) for silver coins with AgCl the writer recommended acidic fixer (used in photography) for perfect results.
What you think for that?

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:47:05 pm »
Photographic fixer, Sodium Thiosulfate , will dissolve Horn Silver [AgCl] without damaging solid silver. If  I remember correctly there may be more than one type of fixer, so check that it is the Sodium Thiosulfate.  I also know the Noble Roman Coins does carry it in small packs.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:37:48 am »
Hi.  I have to agree with cmcdon and Akropolis.  If it is silver chloride and you dissolve it, you could easily end up with nothing left but a thin piece of solid silver and very little detail remaining.  Nice looking coin, as is.

Regards, V-drome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity