Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC Number ??  (Read 870 times)

Offline shigoto

• Praetorian
RIC Number ??
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:12:50 pm »
I need your help for RIC number of this one ... 230 ??

26mm - 9,7g

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: RIC Number ??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:07:07 pm »
No RIC number . Brokage.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:54:32 pm »
You can read more about a brockage at Numiswiki. In sum, it is an error caused by the failure of the mint workers to remove a struck flan from the dies. This results in an incuse impression created on the reverse of the next flan struck, instead of the correct reverse design.

As the reverse design is not present, it is not possible to identify an RIC number.

Offline shigoto

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:07:23 am »
You can read more about a brockage at Numiswiki. In sum, it is an error caused by the failure of the mint workers to remove a struck flan from the dies. This results in an incuse impression created on the reverse of the next flan struck, instead of the correct reverse design.

As the reverse design is not present, it is not possible to identify an RIC number.

In this case I think, according to the text we can read, we are able to define what kind of reverse was on this coin ... am I wrong ? :-\

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:22:13 am »
No. The text (incuse) in reverse comes from the obverse.
The emperor is Augustus.

Offline shigoto

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:39:09 am »
The emperor is Augustus.

Sorry Benito, perhaps I didn´t express myself clearly ... I mean the text we find in obverse "CAESAR PONT MAX" (Augustus coin), I believe, fits only with Lugdunum RIC 230 ... 

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:44 am »
If there´s only one reverse for Caesar Pont Max obverse then its  RIC 230. Can´t tell you because my RIC is in storage.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:29:17 am »

Ric 229 is only other coin with this obverse, but it is a sestertius.
So RIC 230 seems right identification.

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:13 pm »
The emperor is Augustus.
I mean the text we find in obverse "CAESAR PONT MAX" (Augustus coin), I believe, fits only with Lugdunum RIC 230 ... 

Hi folks,

Really?

This came as a surprise to me. Just off the top of my head (without looking in RIC), the obverse portrait reminds me of the work of a Spanish mint (Emerita, Caesaraugusta, etc.). That portrait style is usually found on Augustus denarius coins minted in Spain.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity