Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: inscription on a coin (of arados i think)  (Read 289 times)

Offline clem.fandango

• Consul
inscription on a coin (of arados i think)
« on: April 17, 2015, 07:33:05 am »
Hi everyone,

I think this is a coin of Arados, with a head of Tyche right and a ship's prow on the reverse. Could you help me towards understanding the lettering on this coin, and towards what it means? I guess the lettering is  Phoenician? But I'm not sure what I'm looking for, and can't make much out beyond the series of thee letters which look a little like N's, and do not know their significance... 

13mm, 2.71g, 12 o'clock.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: inscription on a coin (of arados i think)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:42:42 am »

That is the date in Aradian era, N = 20. So NNN = 60.
Unfortunately there may be one or two I off flan making
exact date uncertain.

Pekka K

Offline clem.fandango

• Consul
Re: inscription on a coin (of arados i think)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:44:53 am »
thank you Pekka: can you tell me what the lettering above is / means?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity