Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus Emesa denarius  (Read 1847 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Septimius Severus Emesa denarius
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:47:24 am »
Hi!

Here is another Septimius Severus denarius/Emesa with missing letters in the legend.

Ob: -------- PER (T) AV (G) COS II -  two letters are missing on the right side, which is legible enough.

Rev :  FORT REDVC

I did not see this reverse legend in combination with seated Fortuna for COS II in RIC. If I understand correctly, it is not a big deal given such inconsistent and 'creative'  approach to the legends in Emesa.   

2,8g - 19x18mm - 0'

Cheers,

Z.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius Severus Emesa denarius
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:59:17 am »
Very nice. I colect these legend oddities.

Note: it starts IMP CA L SE SEV...

Here is the same obverse die but with a Mars reverse.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:55:38 am »
Just recently, I posted a denarius with IMP CA L SEP... from a different obverse die here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=92371.msg623811#msg623811

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:30:48 am »
A little off topic, one can imagine a diecutter grinning to his collegue "Let's make some varieties so that collectors in the future will have something to wonder about !"  ;D

These eastern denarii are indeed interesting.

Here's one of mine:

IMP CA L SE SEV - PER AG COS II

FORT REDVC

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:02:47 pm »
In the thread I linked to two posts above, Curtis stated that the "COS II mint" directly continues Pescennius Niger's Antioch coinage, probably in a different city. That seems very likely also due to the fact that in this coinage, just like under Niger, almost each die combination is a different variety.

Rupert

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 01:39:26 pm »
I have an obverse die match to your coin Rupert. My snipe on your coin failed. You had a very good buy...

The coin that Clueless illustrates is from an obverse die that got me started with this sub-series. Here are some matches...

First a double die match:-

I have about another half dozen different obverse dies too.

Martin

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 02:45:14 pm »
I have an obverse die match to your coin Rupert. My snipe on your coin failed. You had a very good buy...

Martin

See, I was wondering how come I got the coin. I had expected Curtis and you. Failed sniper bids are really annoying, I know that well.

Rupert

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 03:27:34 pm »

First a double die match:-

Martin, cool !

Clueless

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 11:28:40 am »
THANK YOU all for posting so many nice coins!…it was really fascinating to learn that so many reverse variants could be connected with the same obverse.

wish you all nice weekend!

cheers,

Z.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity