Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An unpublished bust variant on a Domitian "Flying Minerva" denarius  (Read 1368 times)

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Hello everyone.

It's always nice to spot new types or variants, so I'm glad to share my last find.

The last edition of RIC lists two obverse types in combination with this reverse: laureate head (RIC 791), bust draped and cuirassed (RIC 792).

The aegis, as on my coin, was unpublished so far for this last Domitian issue of denarii.

The variant was overlooked by the seller.

Kind regards

Alberto

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-119653

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: An unpublished bust variant on a Domitian "Flying Minerva" denarius
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 03:32:48 pm »
This is such a wonderful piece on so many levels. Solid evidence that this new series of denarii was considered special by the mint!

Congrats and well spotted!

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:38 pm »
Thanks David, I'm sure that there is much more to be discovered about this last issue.

Albert.

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 07:53:00 pm »
Amazing. I was watching this auction too, and was a little puzzled to see the bids shoot so high. I thought it was the beautiful reverse, but now I understand. Congrats!

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 12:09:41 am »
Congrats Alberto, great find.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:09 pm »
Hello everyone.

It's always nice to spot new types or variants, so I'm glad to share my last find.

The last edition of RIC lists two obverse types in combination with this reverse: laureate head (RIC 791), bust draped and cuirassed (RIC 792).

The aegis, as on my coin, was unpublished so far for this last Domitian issue of denarii.

The variant was overlooked by the seller.

Kind regards

Alberto

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-119653

Nice and Interesting coin Alberto  ;)

Congratulation  +++ :o

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:25:33 pm »

The aegis wouldn't be so unusual if it were known on denarii of the preceding issue with TR P XIIII, or on Domitian's Temple denarii which also seem to have been struck around this time.

The fact is, however, that though the aegis had been common on Domitian's denarii in 84-5, it had more or less disappeared from that denomination from 86 on. So it is surprising to see the aegis reappearing on a few rare denarii of 88 (RIC pp. 304-5), and now again on this previously unpublished denarius of 95-6!
Curtis Clay

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 05:12:28 am »
Thanks for your comment Curtis.

I've forwarded the coin to prof. Carradice.

He wrote me back that he and prof. Buttrey in the meantime have recorded a new denarius with a temple reverse.

It appears that this last issues (including AE) have a greater variety than most of those of previous years and this, in his opinion, could be linked to Domitian's 15th anniversary.

Best

Alberto

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:59:19 am »
It appears that these last issues (including AE) have a greater variety than most of those of previous years and this, in his opinion, could be linked to Domitian's 15th anniversary.

I am skeptical of this idea, since there was no observable quinquennalian issue of coins for Domitian in 86 and no decennalian issue in 91.

It's always best to follow Eckhel's principle I think: if we have no apt and probable explanation for a phenomenon, then we should frankly admit that the causes are unknown. It is astonishing, Eckhel continues, how much light Roman coins can cast on a great many matters; so we should not find it disgraceful to admit that some other questions apparently cannot be answered.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity