Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus PM TRP VIII denarius  (Read 929 times)

Offline Lerian

• Consul
Septimius Severus PM TRP VIII denarius
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:36:08 am »
I would like to share an interesting purchase.

SEVERVS  PIVS  AVG
Laureate head right.

PM   TRP   VIII   COS   II   PP
Septimius, in military dress, standing half-left, sacrificing out
of patera over lighted tripod-altar and holding reversed spear.

Rome AD 200    18 mm    3.03 g

Not listed in RSC and only listed in RIC (151) and  BMC (178) as aurei.

The only denarius listed for certain as having this reverse legend of TRP VIII, is the  Victory flying left type

This coin seems to be a dated version of the RSTITVTOR VRBIS type.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius Severus PM TRP VIII denarius
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:47:57 pm »
This coin seems to be a dated version of the RESTITVTOR VRBIS type.

And interesting for proving that that undated type must have been struck at least partially in the year 200!

It's nice to get obviously rare and interesting types, for example LAETITIA TEMPORVM, ship, animals and quadrigas in circus for Septimius and his sons, but I've always also liked to acquire ordinary types that look common, but for some reason are in fact very rare, like this dated version of the RESTITVTOR VRBIS type in silver!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »
The RESTITVTOR VRBIS type is very common on denarii (244 specimens in Reka Devnia hoard), but very rare on bronze coins, the production of which was very meager between 198 and 209.

Here is a worn specimen of the corresponding sestertius, only the fourth known after those in Berlin, Rome (Gnecchi), and Vatican, all coming from a single obv. die and two rev. dies.

I acquired this coin from Rauch 96, 10 December 2014, lot 414, and it finally showed up in the mail today! A nice surprise, since I had long ago resigned myself to its apparent loss or theft!

Curtis Clay

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:47:24 pm »
A nice find Curtis, and at least it arrived eventually.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity