Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Republican Coins in the Paris BnF - Is there a list/catalogue of holdings?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Is there a listing of the Roman Republican coins held in the coin cabinet at the Bibliotheque nationale de France in Paris

I've got a bunch of catalogues and fixed price lists from RBW's library and he often lists what appear to be the # of specimens in Paris for issues that interested him in the catalogues.  Where would one find that information?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Quote from: carthago on March 28, 2015, 09:28:11 pm
Is there a listing of the Roman Republican coins held in the coin cabinet at the Bibliotheque nationale de France in Paris

I've got a bunch of catalogues and fixed price lists from RBW's library and he often lists what appear to be the # of specimens in Paris for issues that interested him in the catalogues.  Where would one find that information?

In the easiest place imaginable. Crawford RRC lists for each bronze issue "the number of specimens in Paris".

I'd be pretty sure that's where those numbers come from.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Some of the coins in the collection of the BNF can be found on their site: http://catalogue.bnf.fr/

I hope this can be of some use.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Quote from: carthago on March 28, 2015, 09:28:11 pm

In the easiest place imaginable. Crawford RRC lists for each bronze issue "the number of specimens in Paris".

I'd be pretty sure that's where those numbers come from.

Well, there you go.  I was actually thinking silver, but that might be it.  I'll have to check to see if the notes are only for bronzes. 
Some of the coins in the collection of the BNF can be found on their site: http://catalogue.bnf.fr/

I hope this can be of some use.

I was trying to navigate around it but was unsuccessful.  I'll try again. 

Thanks!

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Don't forget to put FRENCH words in the search box. Republican coins may be more difficult to locate than Roman Imperial, but once you locate one republican coin you can add other search words from the one coin that you locate. There is a help file you can  locate at the BNF, but it is not easy to locate-- likely found on the BNF homepage.

Iwaniw

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
BnF Gallica is a nicer interface, IMO:  http://gallica.bnf.fr/?lang=EN

Still, you must use French as iwaniw said.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity