Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very small coin with TYX, Gerasa?  (Read 996 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Very small coin with TYX, Gerasa?
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a very small coin found at Caesarea M.  I thought the bust might be Apollo, but I saw a larger coin of Hadrian from Gerasa, Decapolis with the inscription APTEMI TYXH ΓEPACEWN, so I think it might be Artemis/Tyche.  It is about the same size as some of the minimae thought to be minted at Caesarea, but the shape and style is a little different.  I am still having trouble getting on Wildwinds with my Apple computer, so I have not checked there, yet.  Any thoughts on the coin would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jimi

Roman Provincial  BCC
Uncertain Mint - Gerasa, Decapolis?
Hadrian or Antoninus Pius?
Obv:Imperial? draped bust rt. with
traces of inscription.  “...O....VG”
Rev:TVX.... Bust of Artemis? /Tyche?
without turreted crown.
AE 11.5mm.  O.89gm. Axis:210

All coins are guaranteed for eternity