Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds unavailable?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Wildwinds unavailable?
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:38:49 pm »
Hi, I have been trying to access Wildwinds.com for a few days with no luck.  Any ideas or info?

Thanks, V-drome

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Wildwinds unavailable?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »
It's slow but I have access.

Jochen

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:17:36 pm »
I can get there too.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:31:34 am »
Roughly 2/3 of the time I cannot access wildwinds even though the site is up.  It may have something to do with my internet provider or location.  It was so frustrating for so many months that I essentially stopped using the site.

More recently it occurred to me to access it through a proxy server.  Problem solved, although load time is increased.  There are numerous such servers; here's one I have bookmarked and that I use for wildwinds access:  https://www.proxyserver.com/  Scroll down a bit, type wildwinds.com into the box, and click the "PROXY URL" button.  Some links may not work as with the native site.  For instance, on the home page the drop-down menu doesn't work.  I have to click "CLICK TO ENTER" to access the various sections.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 08:52:42 am »
Yes that works! Thank you, TIF, Aarmale, and Jochen.  In the options I turned off encryption and cookies and it loaded a little faster.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 05:32:19 pm »
Hi folks,

I use Wildwinds all the time. I've used it numerous times recently, and I have no problems with it. The pages load very fast. I haven't noticed any issues at all. And the firewalls on my computer are set very high.

Could it be a browser issue? I use Google Chrome.

Sometimes I have trouble accessing certain websites with Google Chrome. I switch to different browser (usually Mozilla Firefox), and I have no problems. I guess certain websites are set up to work better with certain browsers.

Meepzorp

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »
I have the same problem regardless of browser.  I sure wish I understood the problem and could fix it.  Using a proxy server is cumbersome and doesn't always work.  For instance, right now I'm trying to help someone ID a coin and the proxy server is struggling.

I used to rely heavily on Wildwinds but now because of these problems, using it is painstaking and time-consuming.  :(

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 07:12:53 pm »
TIF, I think you can purchase wildwinds on CD for just a few dollars. 

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 09:03:45 am »
Weird, I posted a nearly identical question on the same board without reading below to find out that the same question has just been asked here!

Yes, Wildwinds server is nearly always down. I've tried different browsers, locations, computers, and networks. Very frustrating.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 08:21:40 am »
The fact that it works when you use a proxy server (which makes the system think you are not where you say you are and not using your normal provider) is proof that the problem is NOT with wildwinds but with either your provider or your PCs settings.
Please see my extensive reply with solutions in the other thread.
the problem is caused by Windows 7 & 8 and its updates and primarily by two US providers, Verizon and Time-Warner.
There is no problem with, for example, good old Windows XP and apparently not with Vista and
much less in Europe.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 09:45:50 am »
the problem is caused by Windows 7 & 8 and its updates and primarily by two US providers, Verizon and Time-Warner.

Interesting, because I'm on a Mac.

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 09:55:06 am »
I also do not use windows 7-8, and I do not live in the USA, and by my estimate, wildwinds has been unaccessible about half the time, seemingly at random. It'll be down and then later on that same day it'll be accessible from the same computer. Wildwinds is the only site I have this issue with.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 09:57:16 am »
I also do not use windows 7-8, and I do not live in the USA, and by my estimate, wildwinds has been unaccessible about half the time, seemingly at random. It'll be down and then later on that same day it'll be accessible from the same computer. Wildwinds is the only site I have this issue with.

I also don't always try to access it from the same service provider.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 03:03:57 pm »
Well, I have various pages (Greek, Roman, Byzantines, British Hammered)
on wildwinds open all day, usually from about midday to 4 a.m. I have not
had a problem with my Windows XP, Bluewin Provider and Opera/Firefox/Chrome
since the server burned at the end of July 2014.

My advice: try the proxy server mentioned on one of the postings in these
two threads. If it works using the proxy server, then the problem cannot be
with wildwinds.

The six people who have sent me emails about this problem over the past
six months or so all called their providers and were told to make a
corrective change to their settings. Making that change worked.

It isn't the programming which is in plain html, it isn't the wildwinds server (otherwise
a) I would notice AND b) it wouldn't work using a proxy server), so it can only
be something in the visitor's settings or his/her provider.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 12:59:54 am »
Hi folks,

I think someone should combine these 2 Wildwinds threads. They are concurrent, with much overlap in posting.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity