Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Pius denarii with interesting RIC notes  (Read 607 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Two Pius denarii with interesting RIC notes
« on: March 24, 2015, 05:35:08 am »
Hi!

I would like to share with you two denarii of Pius that attracted my attention with interesting RIC notes.

1. RIC 111e - IMPERATOR II (rev.)-  it is a variety of a common type but with draped bust, and missing TR P on obverse  - that is why it seemed to get the own listing in RIC. Although it seems it was not known to Cohen (and RD) and BM, as the notes refer only to Sydenman collection
(2,85g - 18mm - 0')

2. RIC 166 -  ob. TR P XI/ rev. COS IIII Salus l. feeding snake coiled at altar. The notes literally say -'Cohen 276 ( authority?)'. The question mark is also put behind S (scarce) - (?). So, it seems this variation posed some questions to the authors of RIC. By the way this type (RIC 166) is not in BM collection, as well as there was not even a single specimen of Cohen 276 in Reka Devnia hoard
(3,1g - 18mm - 0')

Hope you agree that despite just fine condition both denarii deserve to be shared given some interesting facts behind both.

Cheers,

Z.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Two Pius denarii with interesting RIC notes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:12 am »
Victory coin: Strack 131, with draped bust in Munich, Vienna, and three specimens in Sofia. The Sofia coins very probably from Reka Devnia, so they may have been misreported by Mouchmov. Roman Silver Coins 439a

Salus coin: Strack 178, specimens in Berlin, Vienna, and Rome. One illustrated on pl. II, from different dies than yours. Roman Silver Coins 276, citing Cohen and Strack
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:57:45 pm »
Thank you for this info, Curtis! It looks like Strack is much more comprehensive compared with RIC.  Do you know if Strack is available online, is there a source that sells it as PDF? 

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »
I think the original printed book is the only possibility, and it is unfortunately rare and expensive.

However, Seaby in Roman Silver Coins II carefully excerpted Strack, so can be used as a substitute for Strack's catalogue of silver coins at least, until you acquire an original Strack or a photocopy.

Cohen viewed only two public collections, Paris and BM, and the early RIC volumes are essentially chronological rearrangements of Cohen, with some additions from the BM collection (again) and sale catalogues. Strack, in contrast, visited most of the larger collections in Europe, Paris and the BM of course, plus Vienna, Berlin, Athens, Basel, Belgrade, Bologna, Brussels, Budapest, Florence, Gotha, Copenhagen, Leningrad, Milan, Modena, Munich, Oxford, Naples, Rome, Sofia, Stuttgart, Trier, the Vatican, plus the major private collections of Arthur Evans, Hollschek, L.A. Lawrence, Charles Oman, Franz Trau, Ryan, and Weifert. So he must have viewed at least five times as many coins as Cohen and early RIC!
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »
Thank you, Curtis - that is great overview of immense research done by Strack!...I am awaiting RSC II by Seaby to arrive soon...so, it should complement to my knowledge of RIC, Cohen and RD.   Btw, I got across Commodus denarius that is not listed in RIC/BM/Cohen. I will post it when I get it,  and check if it is noted somewhere else.

Thank you for your time!

Z. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity