Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Found a Rare Caracalla in My Own Collection!  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
Found a Rare Caracalla in My Own Collection!
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:34:59 pm »
I was playing with my coins today and just discovered an apparently rare denarius of Caracalla in my own collection. I have had the coin for nearly a year, and just realized that it was listed erroneously by the seller as a coin type that is merely scarce!  :)

Caracalla; 198–217 CE. AR denarius, Rome mint, struck 211 CE; 20mm, 3.30g, 7h. BMCRE SG113, RD (p. 117, Pl. IV, 60), RIC — (unlisted in RIC, but RSC erroneously lists this coin as RIC 183), RSC 493 (Cohen 4 fr.). Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT; head laureate right. Rx: PONTIF TR P XIIII COS III; Concordia seated left, holding patera and cornucopia. Rare; only two in Reka Devnia.

This coin misidentified by the seller as BMCRE SG34–6, RIC 116b, RSC 483, listed as XIII rather than the correct XIIII, which is the same error as in Cohen.

I did some research and was only able to find records for three other examples: one on Wildwinds as a variant of RIC 183 sold on eBay by AAH in 2008, one illustrated in BMCRE, Pl. 56 no. 1, and one as part of group lot 26288 (4 coins), Heritage 2013 September 25 - 27, 30 & October 1 World and Ancient Coins Signature Auction - Long Beach #3026. The reverse of my coin is a die match for the one sold on eBay by AAH. I have included a photo of my coin below, which despite the quality of the photo seems to me to be the nicest of them all, even nicer than the example in the BM.

I don't believe that it is quite accurate to identify this coin as a variant of RIC 183 as Wildwinds does, because its legend is quite different — PONTIF instead of PM; thus it is simply missing from RIC. If RIC listed no other coins with PONTIF in the legend this would make sense, but there are many other coins listed in RIC with PONTIF. For example, the same coin type of Caracalla as my coin but with the reverse legend PONTIF TR P XIII COS III is RIC 116b.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Found a Rare Coin in My Own Collection
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:09:43 pm »
A nice specimen, and indeed rare: just two specimens in the Reka Devnia hoard.

RIC omitted the coin partly because, as Seaby states in RSC, Cohen's second edition 493 misprinted its description of the Paris specimen as showing not TR P XIIII, but XIII, making that entry a duplicate of Cohen 483. The early RIC volumes were mainly just rearranging Cohen chronologically, so they left the coin out, since Cohen appeared not to list it. But RIC was also checking the BM collection for possible additions to Cohen, so they should have found BMC 113, the BM's specimen of the same TR P XIIII denarius in Paris that Cohen's second edition had misdescribed. Cohen's first edition 283 had described the Paris specimen correctly, with PONTIF TR P XIIII COS III. Cohen even recognized the scarcity, pricing this variety at 4 francs, compared to C = 1 franc or less for the TR P XII and XIII varieties!
Curtis Clay

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:46 pm »
Congratulations! Great "find"

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:33:12 pm »
A nice specimen, and indeed rare: just two specimens in the Reka Devnia hoard.

Thank you for the information, Curtis. I don't see that there are any in Reka Devnia, though; it skips from 484 to 494. I don't see 493 at all. Am I missing it somehow?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Found a Rare Caracalla in My Own Collection!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 09:06:03 pm »
RD p. 117, as an entirely new type, rather than a variant of a known one.
Curtis Clay

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:18:10 pm »
RD p. 117, as an entirely new type, rather than a variant of a known one.

Ah, thanks again, Curtis. I see it now!  :o

I have a terrible reproduction, but checking Pl. IV 60 it looks to have the same BRIT obverse legend!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 09:22:04 pm »
Of course it has the BRIT obv. legend; what do you mean by "the same"?
Curtis Clay

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 09:38:36 pm »
Of course it has the BRIT obv. legend; what do you mean by "the same"?

Sorry, yes you are right. Of course it does!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity